Wednesday, February 01, 2006

on the pot

I like to read my theology while I'm on the pot...

Well, not usually, but for some reason this new book I've begun was began while on the pot. I'm reading Velvet Elvis: Repainting the Christian Faith by Rob Bell. I have seen a couple of the videos from his Nooma series and think they are great tools for high school. They are about 15 - 20 minutes long and could be used as a great conversation starter. Actually, the videos and the book could be great tools for confirmation too. So, anyway, the book is an easy read. I could imagine a group of teens reading through it together. The only thing is, while I skimmed through it, trying to decide if I should read it or not, I noticed that what I read in one of the chapters was pretty much the same as what he said in the video that shared the name of the chapter. It's not really a problem, but it makes me wonder if you need both the book and the videos... I guess both could be used for different types of education.

I also want to use Why Christian?: For Those on the Edge of Faith by Douglas John Hall with late high school or college aged students. It's a little more in depth, but split up in sections that would make it useful in an educational setting.

Both of those books aren't too huge or heavy, which would make them useful in a parish setting. However, for those who want something huger or heavier, check out the links above. Just think, you don't have to sit and read them straight through (I don't care how fast a reader you are, these books take time); perhaps, they'd be perfect reading while you're on the pot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home